Pharmaceutical Research Division

The pharmaceutical industry in Bangladesh is one of the most developed high-tech sectors within the country's economy. There are several sectors on which Bangladesh can be proud of and undoubtedly the pharmaceutical sector is one of these sectors. There are about 250 companies in this sector and the local market size is estimated to be around BDT 106 billion in 2012 of which about 97% of the total requirement of medicines is created by the local companies and the rest 3% is imported. Bangladesh’s pharmaceutical industry contributes almost 1% of GDP. It is the third largest tax paying industry in the country. The Pharmaceutical Sciences Research Division is playing essential roles for the development of the pharmaceutical sector of Bangladesh. This division is doing active research on Drug Discovery and Bioassay, APIs and Pharmaceutical Excipients, Quality Assurance of Modern and Herbal Medicines, Dosage Form Design and Formulation and Biopharmaceutical aspects of medicines.